There are many terminologies used while playing casino games. Understanding these basic terms is a basic step to becoming a successful bettor. We have carefully selected several most commonly used words and phrases during online and land-based casino games.
You can read up while you prepare for your next casino game at your favorite casino, you can also play at Finnish casino sites like this one.
1. Advantage Player: a player that has gained some advantage over the casino.
2. Ante: a bet placed prior to the first hand.
3. Banker: the dealer.
4. Bankroll: the amount of money a player has to gamble with.
5. Bonus: extra cash given to a player for meeting specific requirements.
6. Card shark: a pro at card games.
7. Cashier: where monetary transactions occur at casinos.
8. Casino Advantage: the mathematical advantage casinos have over players.
9. Casino rewards: rewards offered to players by casinos based on how much they play.
10. Chip trays: The tray used by a dealer or croupier to hold house chips.
11. Chips: Tokens used in casinos to represent cash; they come in various denominations.
12. Cold Streak: An extended losing run.
13. Color up: The act of exchanging smaller-denomination chips for larger ones.
14. Comp points: players can earn comp points and exchange them for chips, food, drinks and discounted accommodation rates
15. Croupier: French word for a casino dealer.
16. Cut card: a plastic card used to cut cards.
17. Dealer: a casino employee whose job is to deal cards
18. Degenerate Gambler: a person who gambles frequently and excessively.
19. Download casino: a kind of casino where you will need to download the app to play.
Photo by Nathana Rebouças on Unsplash
20. Edge: The advantage held in a casino game mostly held by the casino.
21. Eye in the sky: the overhead cameras used to monitor game tables at casinos.
22. Flash casino: online casinos that allow you to play games using flash technology.
23. Gambler’s fallacy: an erroneous belief that the outcome of a random event is influenced by previous events.
24. High roller: a person who plays casino games for high stakes.
25. Hot streak: an extended winning run
26. House edge: also known as the casino advantage.
27. House rules: rules peculiar to a certain casino.
28. Instant casino: a casino that doesn’t require you to download the app.
29. Jackpot: A grand prize offered for a particular outcome in a game.
30. Layout: The surface of a gaming table where players can place their bets.
31. Lobby: where you find all the games at an online casino.
32. Loyalty schemes: A scheme offered to reward players for their wagering activities.
33. Live dealer games: An online casino game played against real dealers over a live video stream.
34. Marker: a request from a player to get credit at a casino.
35. Non-sticky bonus: bonus offered by online casinos that can be withdrawn once the necessary requirements have been met.
36. Payout percentage: The approximate value paid out by a casino over time and expressed as a percentage of overall bets placed.
37. Penetration: The part of a deck that’s dealt before shuffling the deck.
38. Phantom bonus: bonus offered by online casinos deducted from a player’s account at the point of cash-out
39. Progressive jackpot: A kind of jackpot that increases in value.
40. Push: a tie or draw.
41. Reload bonus: bonus that is offered to an existing customer for making a new deposit.
42. Shoe: The box from which cards are dealt in casinos.
43. Sign up bonus: bonus offered to new customers when they join.
44. VIP: A high-value player treated specially by a casino.