Entain plc (LSE: ENT), the global sports-betting, gaming and interactive entertainment Group, has today published its 2022-23 ESG report, setting out the Group’s approach to and performance on sustainability and ESG related issues.
Sustainability – alongside growth – is one of Entain’s two core strategic pillars. The new report details the significant progress the Group has made in implementing its ESG objectives, as set out in its Sustainability Charter which is built around four core principles: an exclusive focus on regulated markets; continuing to take the lead on responsible betting and gaming; best-in-class corporate governance; and investing in our people and local communities.
The report also provides a further update from that provided at Entain Sustain, in November 2022, the industry-leading sustainability and ESG-focused event.
Highlights of the report include:
An exclusive focus on regulated markets:
- 100% of our revenues are from domestically regulated or regulating markets
- Exited nine markets with no clear path to a safe regulated betting and gaming industry
- Holding domestic licences in 30 countries and 26 North American markets
Continuing to take the lead on safer betting and gaming
- Successful roll-out of our pioneering ARCTM player protection programme outside the UK to 22 international markets
- Increased UK contributions to Research, Education and Treatment (“RET”) to 1% of GGY in 2023
Pursuing the highest standards of corporate governance
- Initial findings from our double materiality assessment released
- 33% of our Board is female
- Entain published first-ever Board Diversity Policy
- 15% of the group-wide bonus is based on a safer betting and gaming metric and 5% on a customer metric
- The Big Six Compliance Programme drove the average completion rate in mandatory employee training to 93% – up from 82% in 2021.
Invest in people and communities
- Commitment to net-zero target carbon emissions target by 2035, which will be verified by the SBTi
- Developed near-term science-based greenhouse gas reduction target, for verification by the Science-Based Targets initiative
- Continued investment in by the Entain Foundation to promote grassroots and community sports through our Pitching In initiative
- Further progress in closing the Gender pay gap
- Delivery of wellbeing programmes to support colleagues, particularly those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
This performance has been recognised with Entain picking up multiple endorsements and accolades from respected, independent third parties. In 2022 the Group was the largest operator to be awarded the highest level of accreditation (Advanced Level 3) for its online activities and Advanced Level 2 for its land-based activities from GamCare’s Safer Gambling Standard. We were also named the global 2022 Socially Responsible Operator of the Year by leading industry experts at SBC, as well as winning several regional titles. Our continued membership of the FTSE4Good index and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index provides further recognition, coming outside our industry.
Jette Nygaard-Andersen, Entain’s CEO, commented:
“Over the past year, we have continued to make great progress in setting the standards for our industry in all areas of ESG, across all of our operations. We are proud to lead the industry in providing the safest possible betting and gaming platform, taking a leading role in supporting the communities in which we operate, reducing or environmental impact and in doing so, making Entain the best place to work for all of our people. By delivering on this ambition, we will create long-term, sustainable growth for all of our stakeholders.”
Entain’s 2022-2023 ESG report is available on our website and can be accessed here: 2022-2023 ESG Report.