WASHINGTON – American Gaming Association (AGA) President and CEO Bill Miller delivered remarks today on the future of gaming’s recovery, policy developments for gaming in Washington, DC, and AGA’s priorities for 2021.
Miller cited vaccine distribution, responsible reopening, and consumer confidence as reasons for optimism in the coming year, “There’s huge pent-up demand for gaming—and I’m upbeat about the second half of the year in particular. As vaccines roll out, people will be excited to travel, hungry for entertainment, and desperate to get out and have fun again. That’s an environment where gaming will thrive.”
AGA research shows one-in-three American adults plan to visit a casino in 2021—the highest rate since the AGA began tracking last March. Eighty percent of future casino visitors agree the industry has done a good job at safely reopening.
Miller emphasized that the AGA’s singular agenda in 2021 is accelerating the gaming industry’s recovery, highlighting four areas of focus:
- Securing additional COVID-19 economic relief for the industry through temporary liability protections, investment in travel and tourism, supportive tax policy, and additional tribal relief.
- Developing gaming champions on Capitol Hill and in the Biden administration.
- Blocking harmful policies and advancing specific reforms to enhance industry competitiveness.
- Using proprietary research and strategic communication efforts to ensure the gaming industry is heard.
“We come into 2021 with a strong foundation, a clear focus, record levels of support among Americans, and a loyal customer base that wants the excitement only gaming can deliver,” concluded Miller.
Miller’s remarks referenced three new AGA resources that were released today:
- AGA’s Accelerating Gaming’s Recovery priorities, which provide industry stakeholders with a detailed outline of the association’s 2021 priorities.
- Casinos & Communities: COVID-19 Response, which spotlights first-hand accounts of how the gaming industry has supported its communities, aided frontline workers, and responsibly reopened throughout the pandemic.
- Miller’s letter to the 117th Congress, which highlights AGA’s economic importance to the U.S. economy and details gaming’s federal policy agenda for accelerating recovery.
About the AGA
The American Gaming Association is the premier national trade group representing the $261 billion U.S. casino industry, which supports 1.8 million jobs nationwide. The AGA’s members include commercial and tribal casino operators, suppliers, and other entities affiliated with the gaming industry. It is the mission of the AGA to achieve sound policies and regulations consistent with casino gaming’s modern appeal and vast economic contributions.